Why You Should Benefit as a VOLUNTEER? The Story of Saheed Ibrahim, YALI Ondo State Coordinator.

*This is my story*

… But I will keep it short

I graduated as best graduating student in my set. I was so proud of myself but that pride was humbled with JOBLESSNESS.

Why?, I had no JOB EXPERIENCE. Guys that finished far behind got well-paying job, even with The Punch. You know why, they were campus reporters for new channels while we were in school but I was only brilliant. I was not SMART

I took up a job as a teacher and my first salary was 15k. It was frustrating. I could not secure any other job despite trying. This spans for about 7 years.

Upon realising the *best graduating student* on my CV won’t get me job, I started taking up roles on PRO BONO: I started volunteering.
I started in my COMMUNITY as Youth Forum PRO.

From there, someone on the street invited me to join his NGO and I functioned as Assistant Media Manager and later added Secretary.

I started gaining job experiences
After w ehile, I moved to the University of Ibadan for MSC but my job hunting continued. I saw a post one day for an NGO that needed people to take up certain roles. *Students for Sensible Drug Policy* Nigeria (SSDP). See opportunity! I applied as PR Director but I was not given. 

The Nigeria Lead was impressed with my CV…. so he created an office for me and I became *National Outreach Committee Chairman*. Although not paid, I gained access to many many positive engagements.


I represented the group at Nigerian National Youth Policy among others and I coordinated many programmes to my name. I still remain part of the group.

One day, I saw YALI RLC application and I applied. I got a text few days after that I was picked for the next stage. I got a call from Ghana and I was asked questions on *Policy*. I just smiled. 

Remember I volunteer with SSDP, so policy was an easy nuts for me. 
So, first time applying for YALI, I got picked as member of Cohort 11. None of my working friends got the opportunity
Two months after, I saw another flier for an NGO, *Rural Nurture Initiative* RNI in Ibadan. I also joined and I functioned so well in the PR Department… I won the most active PR member (Male) of the group. 


I came to Akure and I approached two media stations. I told them *I’ll work for Free* Just to gain media experiences.

They were surprised. I worked from Monday to Sunday while shuttling between the two.

After a year of doing that, I got a hint that an organisation was recruiting and I went to one of the media houses I volunteered with to give me a recommendation letter which they gladly did.

But before handing it over to me, the Editor asked *WHY CAN’T YOU WORK WITH US? WE NEED SOMEONE*

I initially formed like I don’t need them because I was doing well on my own with my research part time jobs and other benefits I have been seeing while working pro bono. 

I later accepted and I was placed on Freelance role. That was before COVID-19 lockdown started. The pandemic delayed my full employment.

Long story short, One day, I was called to the office of the Chairman and he handed me the Employment letter WITH AN APOLOGY

“SAHEED, WE SHOULD HAVE DONE THIS LONG TIME AGO BUT YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT HAPPENED. WE ARE VERY SORRY AND WE BELIVE YOU WILL MAINTAIN THE ENERGY YOU HAVE BEEN WORKING WITH”. 

Just 8 months of working with them, I won *Ondo state Grassroots Reporter of the Year* and just today, I and one senior staff were picked for a training on Fact Checking.

I have trained over 180 mass communication students in 3 years and I am expecting another 90-100 before March. 

You know why I volunteer to train them? *I want to be a lecturer and I am building my CV and my skills*

I have met many many many great people while volunteering and my LinkedIn page is there for you to confirm all these.

Now you know why YALI is very important to me. YALI is family. Volunteering is in my blood and I am an advocate of that.

@⁨AlCalipha YALI⁩ is a very good example of another chronic volunteer like me. He has even done far more than me. I am talking of our PRO in YALI Ondo state and the founder of this Initiative.

If I have not achieved anything as a volunteer, I won't talk to you about it.


Saheed Ibrahim
Coordinator
YALI Network Ondo
08132672605
emailibrahimbidemi@gmail.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MY GOVERNOR AND MEMr. Governor of ONDO State, OLUWAROTIMI AKEREDOLU-SAN stimulates entrepreneurship development through an online interactive meeting every month through the ONDO State Entrepreneurship Agency-ONDEA

YPF/DISTRIC MEDIA 2-IN-1 TRAINING ON CINEMATOGRAPHY/DRONE PILOTING AND MOBILE APP DEVELOPMENTREGISTRATION FORM